Friday, February 6, 2009

Wasim hails Murali for breaking his one-day record


paceman Wasim Akram on Thursday congratulated Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan on breaking his record of taking the most wickets in one-day international play.Wasim, who took 502 wickets in 356 matches before retiring from international cricket in 2003, paid tribute to Muralitharan, who achieved the feat in his 328th match."It was only a matter of time before he broke my record. Muralitharan is a great bowler and he deserves the record -- which are there to be broken," Wasim told AFP.Wasim said he sensed that Muralitharan would be the man to break his record."I noticed his progress in 2003 and realised he was the only man who could break my record," he said."At times I jokingly told him not to play one-day cricket, so that my record would remain intact, but he is relentless in taking wickets. I am happy that a bowler of his calibre has broken my record."Wasim said Muralitharan is in a league of his own."No matter what type of surface he has played on, no matter in which country and against which team... he is simply great and more than a good bowler, he is a good human being," he said."I don't think any bowler will be able to break his records. If he continues to play for another two or three years, he will cross 1,000 in Tests and 600 in ODIs, which will be tough to break for anyone else

No comments:

Post a Comment